The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) began an incentive program in 2009 to encourage and reward physicians for adopting and successfully
utilizing an Electronic Health Record (EHR) Solution. Since the inception of the program, the CMS has been tracking and researching the success of their mission.
Hitech Answers published in the EHR Incentive Program Status Report April 2016 that in May 2013, “more than half of all eligible health care providers (EPs) had been paid under the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs.” As the years have past, the number of EPs utilizing EHR solutions has steadily increased and more physicians are being paid out from the incentive program, “[a]nd in April of 2016 the ONC released a comprehensive evaluation of the Regional Extension Center (REC) program which support their efforts have made a major impact on adoption of electronic medical records.”
A total of $34,501,319,221 has been generated through the program to date. The April report also included other impressive numbers:
- Active registrations of those completed totaled 586,137 breaking down with 377,537 Medicare EPs, 203,718 Medicaid EPs, and 4,882 hospitals.
- 50 States and 5 territories have open Medicaid registration.
- A total of 498,536 unique providers have been paid with breakdown of 308,615 Medicare EPs, 170,152 Medicaid EPs, 4,924 eligible hospitals, and 14,845 Medicare Advantage Organizations for EPs.
- 130,345 EPs have received a HPSA bonus payment for program years 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.
- 3,887 hospitals have received payments under both Medicare and Medicaid (of those, 944 were CAHs).
- Medicare EPs have been paid $9,000,031,783
- Medicare Advantage Organizations For EPs have been paid $450,941,238. Medicaid EHR Incentive payments began in January 2011 and Medicare EHR Incentive payments began in May 2011.
If knowing $34,501,319,221 has been paid out since the beginning of the EHR Incentive Programs isn’t enough to convince you to begin utilizing an EHR solution, talk to an RxNT Team Member today! RxNT offers fully integrated or stand-alone Electronic Health Records, E-Prescribing with EPCS capabilities and Practice Management solutions.
Call us at 1-800-943-7968 Option 3 or email us at sales@RxNT.com to learn more about the benefits for your practice.